Saturday, July 10, 2010

One Hot day.....

Wow, Thursday was hot around here.  I had gone to visit my Mom and we decided to go to St. Jacob's for the day to check out some Antiques.  Mom is still recovering from a knee replacement that was done 8 weeks ago.  She is doing beautifully and beat me to quite a few booths at the market.  St. Jacob's is a town not far from Kitchener, Ontario.  It is in an area of Mennonite settlements and Farms and they have a big influence on the food and flavour of the area.


This was a pretty doll sitting in an old high chair, cloth painted face.  I had an eye out for textiles but I gotta say, there just wasn't much to see.  No penny rugs at all.  I asked the market manager if she had seen any penny rugs lately and she told me she hardly ever sees one any more.  Years ago she said she saw then now and then but not any more.  I really enjoyed getting out for the day but it was killer hot.  The A/C in my car is not really working well, think I need a re-charge.  So Mum and me looked quite wind blown by the time we got home!  We did make a pit stop for lunch at my Mom's favorite restaurant, Swiss Chalet.  Only in Canada and the best Chicken place ever!

This quilt was backed in flour sack cloth and was very primitive.  Don't know if I'd want to snuggle up with it, the cloth was pretty rough, but it was a beautiful thing to behold.  The Needlepoint pillow cover pictured here was very bright and colourful and I was tempted to purchase it but the picture will have to suffice.  My Mom spotted a booth with jars of vintage buttons so I did manage to pick up 4 jam jars of buttons.  I was a happy girl with those tucked under my arm!
We needed more time....St. Jacob's has an amazing Farmer's Market the we didn't even get to that day.  Mom scolded me and told me that I needed to stay longer.  Wish I could have, had to work the next day.

Next time I promise, I'll stay longer!

No comments:

Post a Comment